On the couch with DJ Funky B

Local music mixer Bridget Nel(33) aka Dj Funky B from Durban North is taking the country by storm with her cool sounds. Working a full time job as an account manager for a professional hair care brand, she still continues her passion of playing music on the side. The Weekly Gazette-Glenwood caught up with DJ Funky B to ask her a few questions about her life as a DJ:

TWG-G: When did you first realise that you wanted to DJ?

DJFB: I started DJing at 21, directly after finishing college, where I got my national higher diploma in Journalism.  I had a friend teach me after I begged to learn.  After a week of touching my first turntables ever (vinyl’s back then) I got my first residency at a club called “Long Beach” (a rooftop beach bar on long street in Cape Town).  I started DJing in Cape Town where I lived for four years before relocating to Durban. 

TWG-G: How long have you been Djing for?

DJFB: I’ve been DJíng for 12 years and it was my full time job for seven years when I decided that I should do it on a part time basis on weekends and special events.  However, it’s still a full time job as I’m busy every weekend and spend week nights sourcing music and marketing myself.
TWG-G: What inspired your stage name?

DJFB: I’m a funky girl with a funky image and when I started DJing my sound was more funky so the name, Funky B, made sense.  I’m playing a bit harder these days but havn’t lost my funkier edge.

TWG-G: What was the first event you ever played at?

DJFB: My first club ever was “Long Beach” and my first large event was Gatecrasher 2001 in Cape Town.  At the time Gatecrasher was rated the largest Superclub in the world and the International resident DJ’s, at the time, Ashley Casselle and Talla 2xlc were headlining. 

TWG-G: What big gigs have you done recently?

DJFB: During the festive season I played at the Judge Jules event and Sebastien leger at Origin.  Two big International DJ’s. My largest event ever was: The world Cup cricket T20 broadcast around the world where I DJed on a stage overlooking the grounds.

TWG-G: Have you done any work internationally?

DJFB: Yes. I played in Sri Lanka in 2004, Namibia in 2005 and am playing in Mozambique over easter this year.

TWG-G: Where are you currently playing?

DJFB: I have a Saturday night residency at The Origin nightclub.  I also do guest appearances all over Durban and South Africa.  

TWG-G: What is your favourite style of music to play?

DJFB: House, which at the moment is Jacking and I enjoy the banging sound of Elektro on my dancefloor as well.
TWG-G: Out of all the tunes you have, which one 'never fails?'

DJFB: At the moment the favourite has probably been levels by Avicii

TWG-G: Do you pre-plan a playlist before you DJ?

DJFB: No. I feel that planning a set will never work out as you planned.  I think you can have a rough idea of what you might play, but I prefer to play tune by tune, picking each track as I go.  This is better as I like to read the crowd/dancefloor and pick tracks that will work with the particular crowd on the night.  If you pre-plan and a track doesn’t work, you loose your dancefloor and have to start all over again.

TWG-G: Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

DJFB: As far as DJíng is concerned, I’m currently learning to produce my own music and hopefully I’ll be able to make a name for myself as a producer as well.

Just for fun:

TWG-G: When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out?

DJFB: Beach or movies, depending on the weather!

TWG-G: Funniest thing that ever happened to you at an event?

DJFB: Tripping in my platform shoes in front of everyone and landing on my bum! 
TWG-G: Your favourite Dj of all time?

DJFB: Carl Cox.  He’s been around so long even before I started he was mixing 3 turntables at once!  He won the first ever DJ mag top 100 DJ’s  in 1997 and he’s still rated at number 31on the chart in 2011.  


TWG-G: What advice would you give to up and coming DJs?
DJFB: Don’t just become a DJ because you think that it looks glamourous and you want to be famous and have fun all the time.  You also need to have a passion for music, be able to mix (even if you’re using a DJ program that will do it for you) and be able to make a dancefloor jump with enjoyment for the tracks that you’re playing.  To be a great DJ you should do the following: be able to mix tracks together, pick the right tunes that work together and keep the dancefloor going, have a personality and crowd interaction and never  let the “fame” get to you and change you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On the Couch with Elvis Govender

On The Couch with Damon Beard