At home with Jailoshini Naidoo


By Yashika Ramautar


YR: Describe your typical morning from the time you get up.
JN: I’m not really a morning person, but my TV shoots often start quite early, so my mornings are invariably rushed, with me literally flying around the house trying to get ready on time.  Brush my teeth, shower, hair, make-up, dress up, (I often change clothes a couple of times before I’m completely satisfied). Breakfast is a bowl of cereal with some yoghurt, a cup of green or rooibos tea and a banana. And then I'm off!

YR: How long does it take you to get dressed, from after your shower to looking all glam?
JN: About an hour and a half...although I've learnt to do it in about an hour if I have to.

YR: What are some of your favourite Indian dishes that you can prepare yourself? Can you make Woorunde or any sweetmeats?
JN: I’m better at cooking than baking. I make a great curry. Although, as far as Indian sweetmeats are concerned, I make the best Chana Magaj. Got the recipe from a friend some time ago and it’s really fabulous. In fact, it’s been such a favourite amongst my family and friends that I even get asked to make it for some of them over Diwali and I’ve actually made it for some family weddings. 
YR: What is your beauty secret to keeping your hair looking so luscious? Indian women have become obsessed with having pin-straight hair. Do you believe in ironing your hair regularly?
JN: My hair is generally straight and I don’t really iron it especially now as it’s grown so much and really has a life of its own. It looks like it has a lot of volume so I prefer not to iron it. I use salon products only and visit my hairstylist regularly for trims and treatments so that it always looks neat and healthy.
YR: What is your favourite piece of clothing?
JN: My jeans


YR: How large is your shoe collection?
 JN: I have a huge fetish for shoes (absolutely cannot resist them). I honestly have over 150 pairs of shoes.... I say “shoes are a girls best friend”.
YR: On your day off work, how do you spend your day at home?
JN: I try to sleep in a bit because with my work, I often get very little sleep. I work at an incredibly fast pace (long, long hours) so I try to relax and unwind and do all the little things at home which I sometimes neglect with all my travelling. I also spend time with my parents and my closest friends. My friends and I love going to the movies or lunch/dinner and just spending time catching up...these are my closest, dearest friends and they keep me grounded. I also try to go for a run, I find it really relaxing and gives me the opportunity to clear my head and just spend some alone time to collect my thoughts.

YR: Are you very close to your siblings, and do you still argue or bicker with them?
JN: I have 2 sisters and a brother who live in Johannesburg. We are all extremely close and practically speak everyday. That’s the one important thing I learnt from my parents, the importance of family. We are very close and united and are always supportive of each other.
YR: You were raised in Chatsworth, Durban. How has the Chatsworth "culture" influenced you as a person and as an actor? 
JN: I don’t live in Chatsworth anymore. I moved out of there about 5 years ago to the Musgrave area. But I did grow up in Chatsworth and I loved every minute of it...the warmth and hospitality of the people who live there, the sense of togetherness and support. At heart that will always be my home. 
YR: Has any family member ever tried setting you up with a proposal for marriage? If so, how did you handle that?
JN: Of course they did, but I always managed to get my way out of it!
YR: Being a teacher by profession and coming from an Indian family, was it difficult breaking into comedy and acting?
JN: I was always on stage as an actor before and during my teaching career. This is not an easy industry to get into but I was always passionate about my work and was more interested in the process than the rewards. My parents recognised this and have always supported me. You have to work hard, be consistent and just keep the energy and the passion for your art. It’s not easy breaking into this industry, but I learnt that if you have stamina, focus, perseverance and you keep upping your game, you will get there.
This or that…

Bunny chow or pizza- Bunny Chow
Sari or punjabi- Sari
Sweetmeats or savouries- Sweetmeats
Reality show or soap opera- Soap opera
English or Hindi music- English
Bhangra or House- House
Blue Lagoon or Japanese Gardens- Blue Lagoon
Hollywood or Bollywood- Hollywood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender