On the couch with Farryl Purkiss (Singer/ Songwriter)


Meet Umhlanga born singer/ songwriter, Farryl Purkiss, a worldwide super talent who captivates music lovers with his soothing yet strong vocals. Durban North News caught up with the SAMA nominee to find out what he is all about... 


DNN: Tell us a little about who you are?
FP: My name is Farryl David Purkiss, born and raised in Umhlanga Rocks and now living in Cape Town with my wife. I am a struggling musician and a cook.
DNN: What was it like growing up in Umhlanga?
FP: Humbling. If it wasn't the ocean that was giving me a beat down it was the older crew in my group who would dish out some punishment.
DNN:  So, what are you up to at the moment?
FP: Currently in the Ukraine with my wife on holiday. Just finished a tour in the States and the UK, so this is a bit of a wind down for me.
DNN: Do you think your music is recognised more internationally or just within South Africa?
FP: South Africa is a tiny place in comparison to the other territories I travel to. So I would definitely  say I'm still more known within the borders of my home country than outside of them. But with every trip I make I push the scope a little more overseas and create more awareness for myself.
DNN: What challenges have you faced thus far in the music industry?
FP: Not knowing what you are earning at the the end of every month makes it very difficult to plan your life. You are never sure what will be coming into your bank account, so planning long term financial goals can be tricky. It also doesn't help when the bank asks your profession and you reply with "musician", they show you the door very quickly. Also traveling can be very taxiing on you if you not prepared. It's taking me a good couple years to finally get into a proper routine.
DNN:  Who is your musical inspiration?
FP: Impossible to put my finger on one. Everything from other music to my wife.
DNN: Which international artists would you love to perform with?
FP: Anyone who is willing.
DNN: What does a normal day in the life of Farryl consist of?
FP: Wake up. Coffee. Head to Vida. More coffee. Check emails. Reply to emails. Coffee. Home. Play.  Lunch. Write. Coffee. Chase squirrels. Chase wife. Coffee. Supper. Red wine. Sleep.
DNN: I've heard that you're a bit of a surfer, do you still keep up with the waves?
FP: When it comes to surfing, I take any chance I get even when on the road.
DNN: Do you plan on visiting Durban anytime soon?
FP: As soon as I'm back in South Africa I will head back to Durbs for a few sneaky shows.

Just for fun:



DNN: What is the one thing you would never sing about?
FP: Teddy bears.
DNN: Who in your opinion, do you think should stop singing?
FP: The fat lady.
DNN: Favourite party drink?
FP: Beer
DNN: Favourite country in the world?
FP: South Africa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender