Profile on DJ Lora


A past pupil of Danville, Laura returned to her school recently to share her personal story with the girls. “I was never the cleverest girl, I wasn’t part of the “in” group, I wasn’t the thinnest or prettiest girl. At the end of matric I had no idea what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, so I waitressed,” said Laura.  
(L-R)  Nadia Naidoo, Chloe Harris, International DJ
Lora Elliott and Lara Boaden
Laura’s family moved to London where she got a job in an office renting out office space. “Can you imagine anything more ordinary?” she laughed.  Laura used to go to the London clubs with her friends but as she said, “I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t take drugs and I didn’t enjoy being in the middle of the dance floor. So I gravitated to the DJ’s on the edge and they soon had me spinning vinyls and I discovered I had a talent for it. I bought myself the equipment and practised at home and was soon booked for clubs...and that is how I became a DJ.”

Laura’s perseverance, belief in herself, her willingness to throw herself into each challenge has enabled her success and today she enjoys a lifestyle that many of us would envy...flying around the world playing parties for the celebrities we read about. “This has enabled me to live a dream lifestyle combining my passions for music, travel and fashion,” she said.

Laura’s message for the girls was a simple one, "Live by the values you have been taught at Danville ...they will empower you to stand out from the crowd. Never underestimate the importance of good manners and good grooming, they will take you  far. Laura herself bears testimony to the benefits of these values and thanked Danville for the grounding she was given which has given her a solid foundation on which to build her life."

"Listen to your parents and your teachers. They have lived life, they have knowledge and their advice is valuable," she added.

"If you want to make a success of your life, do not drink or get involved with drugs. You will not get anywhere if they influence your life. They are not cool," she said lastly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On the Couch with Elvis Govender

On The Couch with Damon Beard