On the Couch with singing siren, Jae



Singing siren Jae is back in town...

Durban R&B beauty, Jae best known for her smashing debut solo single, "I'm missing you", is back in town performing at Surfs Up at Barnyard Theatre. Durban North News grabbed the opportunity to catch up with the three time SAMA nominee and find out what she is really about.

DNN: So Jae tell us, when did you get your first big break as a singer?
J: I didn’t get a big break, I created my own. I always thought I’d be ‘spotted’ by a talent scout and I’d become a star instantly. I was so wrong and had many disappointments. When I lost my dear sister, I wanted to quit music, then remembered how much she wanted to see me succeed, so I pulled myself together, had a new motivation and started my own record label with my manager and business partner.

DNN: From the beginning of your career till now, what has been your biggest highlight?
J: I have many... hearing my own song on radio for the first time was priceless, meeting and singing for Oprah Winfrey, performing with Usher, meeting and being interviewed by Jerry Springer, performing for Nelson Mandela’s 90th birthday bash... just to mention a few.

DNN: Do you wish to collaborate with any international artists? Also, who are some of the big names that you have worked thus far?
J: I would really like to work with Neyo. I’ve performed with a few, I’ve not recorded with many. I've worked with Loyiso, Liquideep, Ernie Smith, Verd, Jerusha and Red Angel.

DNN: What can your fans expect to see from you for the year 2013?
J: Currently my main focus is on live performances, which is my number one passion, I have been writing for a new album and I have just completed recording the first song. I’m not going to put too much pressure on myself, I want a good piece of work for my supporters.

DNN: Would ever consider venturing into the world of acting? Which soapie character would you love to play?
J: Pursuing acting has always been part of my goal. I’d like to play Kim Engelbrecht’s character, Lolly, in Isidingo.
  
DNN:What has been the best advice you've received that still inspires you to date?
J: The best advice I’ve received is, “It’s not where you come from that matters, it’s where you’re going that counts”. 

DNN: Your advice to up and coming singing talent?

J: My advice would be... Always have something to fall back on, education is essential, as the music industry is very unpredictable and volatile. If singing is what you really want, for the right reasons, get yourself out there, let people know you’re eager and willing to work, don’t wait for opportunities, create them . Try your hand at writing your own songs. Lastly, learn the business side of music, in that way, you will save yourself from being exploited in any way.


Just for fun:

DNN: Coffee or coke?
Coffee
DNN: Flats or heels?
Heels
DNN: Take-out or home-made?
Home-made
DNN: Speed or comfort?
Comfort

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On the Couch with Elvis Govender

On The Couch with Damon Beard