On the couch with Rob Warren, Durban North music maker




By Janine Moodley


DNN: Tell us about yourself? 


RW: I am a self employed musician in Durban with the band Zaffa, who grew up on the South Coast in Margate in a family of preachers and musicians. Moved to Durban North in 1994.


DNN: If you were not singing, what would you be doing?


RW: If I was not singing? Not sure what I would be doing, never really wanted to do anything else. 


DNN: Who are your musical inspirations?


RW: At the moment I am really into the Black Keys and I just heard a guy named Ben Howard, a song called The Wolves, inspiration is always changing but I love pretty much all music that is well thought out and well played.


DNN:  How long have you been performing for?


RW: Plus minus about 16 years or so, longer than I thought to be honest.


DNN: What hidden talents do you have?


RW: Front men of bands do not really hide talents, we do not hate the spotlight.


DNN: Have you ever forgotten the words to a song while performing live?


RW: I think that is part of the parcel, forgetting lyrics is more common than you would think, just make up new ones, as long as you keep singing you fine.


DNN: What are you most passionate about?


RW: Whatever my hand finds to do.


DNN: What was the most rewarding experience you have had thus far?


RW: Marrying the girl of my dreams, by a long shot.


DNN: If you could perform with one other musician in the world, who would it be?


RW: Neil Finn of crowded house, although I do not think I would be able to talk around him, so it may get a bit weird.


DNN: Your long term plans as a musician?


RW: Just to keep playing.


Just for fun:


DNN: If you had a chance to go back in time, where and when would you go?


RW: 1955, Memphis Tennessee without a doubt


DNN: Would you rather be rich or healthy?


RW: I would much rather have a caravan in the hills than a mansion in the slums, 
if you healthy, you rich.


DNN: If you could have one super power, what would it be and why?


RW: The super power to not get hung-over and to be able to change my form, that would be cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender