On The Couch with...Marc Lottering


Known for his outrageous comedy, hilarious skits and crazy hair, Marc Lottering's name is synonymous with good comedy. The Weekly Gazette-Glenwood caught up with Lottering ahead of his appearance at the Hilton Arts Festival, which is taking place from 21 September. 

WG-G: All the characters that you have portrayed on stage, who do you like the most and who is the most challenging to perform?
ML: I dig them all for very different reasons. They get to say things I would never normally say as "Marc". I would guess that the more popular characters (with audiences) are Smiley the 
taxi dude, and Aunty Merle. Also, Colleen the cashier.  Audiences tend to laugh out loud at these characters. And when I hear raucous laughter, I have a great time.

WG-G: So, now that you don’t work on Sundays, what do you get up to? 
ML: On late Sunday afternoons, I lie on my Cape Town couch, enjoy a glass of wine, and leisurely drift through the Sunday Papers. (To make it through our headlines, you WILL need 
a glass of wine. Perhaps two.)

WG-G: Dog Whisperers, your thoughts on this topic?
ML: You would have to come and see the show to hear my thoughts on this topic. I will say this: I do not believe that Dog Whisperers are going to Heaven. No flippin' way.

WG-G: If you could perform anywhere on earth, where would it be? And why?
ML: I'm not a very fussy boy. Give me a venue anywhere in South Africa, with a sold out audience (all of whom have paid full price), and I'm as happy as Julius Malema on a podium.

WG-G: Your gorgeous hair-do, when did this become a feature of your look?
ML: It was all there from the start, 15 years ago. It was never a deliberate move. Soon after I started doing comedy, I realised that the hair was working for who I was as Marc the Comedian, and it stuck.
WG-G: Have you been to Darling and had tea with Evita?
ML: Auntie Merle has been to Darling and had tea with Evita, years ago. The meeting went very well until, after tea and melktert, Evita showed Aunty Merle where the kitchen was, in case she felt the need to do dishes.

WG-G: Comedy in South Africa, world class or not? What do you think of all the young talent coming through the ranks? Who is a name to watch out for.
ML: I could never say who the name is to watch out for, as I believe that the comedy circuit in SA is currently 
fast-moving, and there are fresh surprises around every corner. We UNDOUBTEDLY do have some world class comedians. I think it’s great that in 2012, a young South African can seriously consider the Funny Business as a rather successful career option. That's how far we've come in a short time. That makes me very happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On the Couch with Elvis Govender

On The Couch with Damon Beard