On the Couch with DJ Cassie


By Janine Moodley

JM: DJ Cassie, tell us about yourself?
DJC: Well my full name is Rajiv Cassie. I'm 20 years old and I live in Durban. I'm currently a resident DJ at a nightclub situated on Umgeni Road, but I also play at other venues around Durban. I'm currently studying Sound Technology & Music Production, in my 2nd year at the moment. My career thus far is DJ'ing at clubs/events/festivals/private functions.

JM: It's tough getting into the music industry so when and where did you get your first break as a DJ?
DJC: It happened for me in the year I started DJ'ing. I would always go to a club called Plush Ultra Lounge with a friend, DJ Dre, it was actually through him that I got to meet Ryan The-Deejay. Ryan and Dre more or less took me under their wing to show me the ropes of what it is a DJ does, from there I began working as hard as I could on my music. This was all in my matric year, and I can honestly say, I spent more time practicing on the decks rather than in the books. My 1st real gig was at Cube Niteclub for the 2010-2011 New Years Eve party.


JM: What type of music do you specialize in or do you play according to your audience?
DJC: Well I'd have to say I specialize in House Music, there's absolutely no limits as to how much you can do with it, it is my favorite genre. But when it comes to performing for an audience, it's all about what they want, no DJ can honestly say they've always pleased their audience, for it can be tough reading what they want without asking them, all we can ever do is try our best!

JM: Do you pre-mix your music or do you do it live?
DJC: Before I answer that, I would advise any up and coming DJ to never do this! I haven't ever played a pre-recorded set from the 1st day my hands touched the decks. Everything i do whenever performing, I do it live :)

JM: What has been the best crowd you've played for thus far?
DJC: That's a tough one, I would have to say it's either between Dusk Til' Dawn 4 which took place at Cube Nightclub, or Blackout 6 which happened at The Origin. Both crowds were just amazing!

JM: Do you plan on turning this into a full time career?
DJC: Yes. If there's anything i could see myself doing for the rest of my life, Music would definitely be it.


JM: Where do you see yourself in five years?
DJC: I've actually never been the type to plan out and set expectations for myself, I've learnt along the way that it can sometimes lead to disappointment. But nevertheless, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? I live my life one step at a time, taking on new challenges and journeys as they come my way.

JM: What do you get up to besides making people dance?
DJC: I really enjoy hanging out with my friends and family, as well as getting to meet new people. I'm the social kind of person :) lol



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender