On the couch with MJ tribute artist, Kenny Whizz


By Janine Moodley


Kenny Wizz popularly known to be one of the best Michael Jackson Impersonators in the world comes to Durban all the way from the US of America till 6 January to pay tribute to king of pop, Michael Jackson. Whizz describes himself as an entertainer who has dedicated 28 years of his life as a "tribute artist" through the career of the greatest entertainer this world has ever witnessed. Durban North News' Janine Moodley caught up with the talented performer to get to know him better:

DNN: What sparked your interest in the infamous Micheal Jackson and when did you realize you wanted to pursue a career as a performer such as this?
JM: I grew up in Los Angeles, California where the Jackson 5 had a big influence musically after their move from Gary, Indiana so I have enjoyed their music as a young kid influenced. As far as realizing when I wanted to pursue it as a career is something that I did not realize simply because of the fact that I was a street performer at the time the Thriller album was released and people would see me performing and thought that I resembled the photo on the front cover of the thriller album in which they thought that I should try to dance like Michael Jackson as a street performer. So, as the Thriller album became more and more popular over those next few months, more and more people were saying this so I finally gave it a try and 28 years later here I am still performing, so it was the public`s influence for me to pursue this career and not my own.


DNN: Think back to when you was a child, what was your favorite MJ song at the time?
JM: My favorite MJ song as a child would be "Dancing Machine"

DNN: Have you ever had a bad experience on stage where people did not take well to you? 
JM: No I have not, as Michael Jackson has always been respected as a great entertainer on stage despite any outside negativity. 

DNN: What can people expect to see at your live performance? 
JM: They can expect a high powered energetic production with video production, LED lighting production, a live band and dancers that cover 22 songs with extravagant costume changes that cover a 2 hour time frame set in a concert-like atmosphere. And as far as my favorite Mj moves that turns crowds heads, of course that would be the signature "moonwalk".

DNN: What do you love about Durban audiences thus far and how has been performing here different from anywhere else in the world?
JM: Durban audiences can be very enthusiastic and the performances here have been well received and no different from any other audiences as I have performed all over the world and people will always enjoy the music of Michael Jackson.

DNN: What do you feel distinguishes you from other artists who try to impersonate MJ?
JM: I think what distinguishes me from other artists is that our show is all live in vocals and music and we do not lip sync to Michael Jackson`s voice.

DNN: What has been your biggest challenge in your career thus far?
JM: My biggest challenge is staying fit for all the performances and travel that I incur.

DNN: What's the future plans for Kenny Wizz?
JM: My future plans is to retire my tribute act in 2014 and concentrate on becoming an actor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender