On the Couch with Carishma Basday

Port Shepstone born Carishma Basday is the Deep End lead actress and SABC 3 show Mela presenter. She is also a professional dancer and model. She started ballet dancing at the age of four and has since trained in many dancing styles including modern dance, jazz, contemporary, hip hop, belly dancing, funk, fusion, salsa and Latin American. Basday spoke with Tabloid Newspapers about her continuing journey.

Tabloid Newspapers (TN): Tell us a little bit about your journey?
Carishma Basday (CB): I have been a journalist for a local paper, a news anchor and journalist for a local news channel. I've landed a role in the play Les Miserables and a dancing show. In 2008, I obtained my degree in performing arts and media studies. I also acquired a diploma in behind the scenes work such as editing, script writing, lighting, directing and producing. I also attended Act Cape Town where I was trained as a film actress. I also signed with Artists One agency in 2009.



TN: What is your most vivid childhood memory?
CB: Playing in the mango orchard in my backyard while my grandmother worked in the garden. I was surrounded not only by our many cats and dogs but also by monkeys who I soon befriended.

TN: Tell us about your role in Deep End?CB: Sunitha Patel is a beautiful 20-year-old woman and comes from a traditional Indian family living in Durban. She is the apple of her father’s eye who relives his own life through her successes. But Sunitha has a deep secret, a desire to surf. Surfing is not acceptable for an Indian girl, of marrying age. Against her father’s wishes, she finally takes the plunge and starts surfing. She meets Cory, an American surfer, running away from his own demons and drug addiction.

TN: Is this your first time acting?
CB: No,after having done many TV commercials both nationally and internationally, I returned to theatre in 2010 with the phenomenal award winning site-specific theatre spectacular Betesda directed by Nicola Hanekom, and then went on to complete the multi-award winning Hanekom trilogy with Babbel in 2012. I shot two feature films 31 Million Reasons in 2010 directed by John Barker and starred in my first leading role as the love interest of famed comedian Riaad Moosa in Material directed by the award winning Craig Freimond.

TN: Between acting and presenting, what would you choose?
CB: Acting.

TN: If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
CB: Michael Jackson, he was the epitome of an entertainer, besides being a huge fan I think he would be a very interesting dinner guest. My paternal grandmother, she passed away when I was still too young to appreciate the wealth of wisdom she held, she was a huge part of my life and I would love to chat to her about so much. Swami Rama, he is the forefather of the lineage of yoga which I trained under, he was a fascinating man full of wisdom and laughter and had an amazing outlook on life.

TN: What has been the heart melting moment?
CB: I had so many messages from women and young girls saying that I’ve inspired them to give surfing a try or try something new. That truly fills my heart with so much joy because that is my biggest hope for the movie, that people especially women leave feeling inspired.

TN: How do you feel about the movie release this Friday?
CB: I am very excited for the release. I just want the world to see this beautiful movie already. I am also a bit nervous as you never know how people are going to react. When you are on set you give it your all, but you never truly know what the outcome will be, and then all of a sudden those very raw and real parts of you are up on the big screen for everyone to see.

TN: Who is your favourite actor and actress?
CB: Johnny Depp and Julia Roberts.

TN: Who would you like to actor alongside with?
CB: Busiswa Zwane, she now acts in Imbewu, on e.tv. We went to school together, it would be nice to work with her.

TN: Are you scared of heights?
CB: No, I love heights.

TN: Titanic or Notebook? Pick one
CB: Why are you doing this to me? I love them both. Titanic is classic, Notebook I love it's story line.

TN: Best scene on Deep End?
CB: I like happy endings. I also like the part in the story when he and I fight outside my house. We both gave it our all, it was so real, and I am so proud of how it came out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender