On the couch with Al Prodgers



One of SA's Best Corporate Entertainers, Stand-up Comedians and Emcees


WG: Your best line in the show that still makes you laugh?
AP: Wow! Its hard for me to laugh at my own material, but I really enjoy several of Warren’s lines. I watch his set from backstage every night as he always adds an extra twist that cracks me up. We also have sections of the show where we improvise gags from audience input, just to make sure that each performance is unique and that we make a real connection with the crowd. 

WG: When did you realise you should be on stage making people laugh?
AP: I realised that making fun of serious situations was the only way forward when I discovered that I was totally lacking in ability to do anything worthwhile or “manly” like plumbing or rocket science. Plus, I figure if you can’t be good in bed, at least be funny.

WG: Where did you perform your first comedy act and how did it go?
AP: My first gig was at a place called The Punchline Pub in Johannesburg. I did well that first time, BUT I died (like a dead thing long dead) in the same venue a few weeks later. That’s what hooked me on stand-up comedy, not the initial success, but the fascinating process of making diverse audiences laugh every time, not just when the planets are aligned and all is perfect.

WG: Who do you most admire in the industry?
AP: I admire my fellow performer in Double Take, Warren Robertson, very much. He’s a fearless wordsmith. My aspiration was to tour with someone whose comedy I most wanted to listen to, so I organised the tour with him.

WG: Where have you performed and what is your best memory of performing in front of a live audience?
AP:  I have hosted the Stand-Up South Africa comedy festival in London and I’ve preformed for crowds in Dubai, Seychelles and in African countries such as Namibia, Zambia and Uganda. Doing shows in different countries is fantastic, because I get the opportunity to present a fun, positive picture of South Africa. My best moment was when I was privileged to represent South Africa in the “Yuk Yuks Great Canadian Laugh Off” competition in Toronto and to be the only foreign comedian to make it all the way to the final round. As the emcee announced, “All the way from South Africa…” a huge cheer went up from the crowd and it felt great.

WG: What do you think of the Durban stand-up comedians? 
AP: I’ve always been a huge fan of Durban comics. There’s something funny in the water here. When I was underage, I used to sneak into clubs to watch pioneers like Joe Parker, I always enjoy working with famous sons of Durban like John Vlismas and I have great respect for brilliant writer/comedians like Alyn Adams.

WG: Give us an example of one of your favourite one liners (no swearing, needs to be clean please!)
AP: In the words of the great stand up comic, Albert Einstein, “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I’m not sure about the universe.” And from the sublime to the ridiculous, the other night I was accosted by a car guard who demanded R5 or he would scratch my car. I said: “Here’s twenty. Go scratch that Mercedes.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender