On the couch with Melanie Lowe


Durban born singing sensation Melanie Lowe,  says singing is her first love as she continues to captivate South African audiences with her talented voice. The Durban North News caught up with the singer to ask her about her life thus far. 


DNN: You grew up in Durban, what was your fondest childhood memory?
ML: I loved living in Durban. We lived in a neighbourhood that consisted of a big park in the middle and then the road, and all the houses around the park. It was a very quiet road and all the kids used to converge in the middle and ride bikes, play cricket, skateboard and generally play up a storm from the time we got home from school until bathtime! Spending so many years in one house makes you grow very attached to it, and to the neighbourhood. I have so many happy memories it's hard to give just one! I remember having a lot of fun as a child. We hardly watched any tv. Our days were spent playing outside in the road, or at friend's houses. It was a place  that I felt safe and that I felt I belonged.


DNN : What have you been up to since SA idols?
ML: I've been recording albums and singing around the country for the last 9 years. I also started up a booking agency for musicians and singers so it's all been keeping me very busy!


DNN : Have you always aspired to be a singer or did you dream of another career path?
ML: Since I could talk I've been singing! I was surrounded by singers because my whole family sings and  cleaning up the kitchen after a meal was usually accompanied by singing of 4 part harmonies with me and my siblings! I was begging my parents for a musical instrument from the age of 6 but it was only when I was 14 that they were able to finally afford a guitar for me. It cost them R5 and it had a huge hole in the body but I was so proud of it. I taught myself to play and started writing songs and that was that. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life!


DNN : What was your most memorable experience on stage?
ML: There have been a few but one that really stands out was when I was touring with one of my idols, Sarah Bettens from the belgian band, K's Choice. We were doing a show in Durban and she called me up on stage to sing a song with her. It was one of the proudest moments of my life being recognised by someone I looked up to, as an equal, and yet it was one of the most humbling moments for me as well. I am so grateful for that opportunity. Not many artists can say that they've been able to do a duet with one of their idols.


DNN : What is it like being a female performer in a male dominated industry?
ML: It's tough! To make it worse, I'm an ENGLISH female and the market is pretty small for us. We are competing with the likes of international artists like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga and there's really no competition! However, I've been lucky to have some good breaks and I'm nothing if not persistent and resilient! I think most industries ARE male dominated so it is a struggle that women the world over, face. I can't complain! I love what I do and I'll keep doing it even if it doesn't always pay the bills!


DNN : What is the toughest but most valuable lesson you've learnt thus far in your career?
ML: No-one is going to make it happen for you but YOU. People will make promises. They'll offer you the world and then they'll disappear and you'll never hear from them again. At the end of the day you can't rely on any of them to make your career happen because the person it will always matter most to, is YOU. Initially it was hard always being let down, but my skin has grown pretty thick over the years and I've learnt to fend for myself rather than wait on empty promises.


DNN : Best advice you've received?
ML: Keep your feet on the ground and never forget where you started otherwise you won't be able to measure the length of your success.


DNN : Do you ever get nervous on stage? If so, how do you deal with it?
ML: Often! I am, by nature, a shy person, strangely enough. I used to battle with very severe stage fright. It's improved a lot as I've grown in confidence but I still have my moments. It usually hits me just before I am going onto stage and then it leaves as soon as I start performing. I think the day I stop getting nervous, there's a problem because it will mean I no longer really care and I'd never want to not care about my music and the people I'm singing to.


DNN : What is your long term plans?
ML: I want to carry on making music. I'd like to do a few more collaborations and I want to take my music overseas as well. I've started my own record label now and I hope to begin giving other artists the opportunity to record their music and get it out there. I would love to see SA music making it all over the world and also see it well supported here.


Just for fun:


DNN : One embarrassing thing about you that no-one knows?
ML: I am terrified of the phone and will avoid answering it, or making calls, at all costs! I can't explain it really but there it is!


DNN : If you were a crayon, what colour would you be?
ML: Red, without a doubt.


DNN : Favourite smells?
ML: Coffee brewing and anything with a vanilla aroma.


DNN : Cosy cottage in the mountains or beach house in the Bahamas?
ML: Cosy cottage in the mountains!


DNN : Last movie you've watched?
ML: My week with Marilyn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On the Couch with Elvis Govender

On The Couch with Damon Beard