On The Couch With Nadine Martin



Fashion designer and owner of fashion label Senorita

By Travis Richards 

SS: What made you want to enter the world of fashion design?

ND: I am passionate about design and very passionate about clothing. I love looking beautiful and making women look beautiful so fashion design is what I was meant to do.

SS: Did you find it difficult at first, when dealing with the pressures of the industry?

ND: It is very difficult and I don't think it will ever get easier, especially when talking about South African fashion. Even with the experience that I have, there are still many difficulties that I face.

SS: Did you have any role models in the industry? If so, who are they?

ND: Firstly, my brother, Andre Martin, who controls the Life brand, as well as other South African designers like Stone Cherry, who have made it in the industry.

SS: What do you make of the South African fashion industry?

ND: It is very hard to make your mark on the South African fashion scene and it is an extremely cut throat industry. It requires a lot of hard work and focus and goes way beyond your regular every day 9 to 5.


SS: Where did you do your first fashion show?

ND: My first fashion show was actually my own private showcase and it was held at a restaurant called Chicken Shack, on the Bluff. It was purely my own effort and my own thinking, I learnt to be organised and disciplined.

SS: Who do you owe your current success too?

ND: First and foremost, I owe my success to God, for giving me the talent, the drive and the ambition. I also designed at Mr Price Sport early in my career and I worked for my brother Andre for about four years. Every thing that I have learnt about fashion has come from that.

SS: Who is your favourite designer at the moment and why?

ND: There is a few but if I had to choose one, it would have to be Nelly and his fashion label Apple Bottom. I really like his designs because it is street and very funky. When I have a new design idea, the Apple Bottom website is the first place I go to

SS: Where is your next fashion show going to be held?

ND: Well I do have some events in the pipeline right now but my next event is going to actually be a lifestyle party in collaboration with another local fashion designer.

SS: Where do you see yourself in the next 10 years? 

ND: Well I want to see my Senorita brand taken to an international stage but as of right now, I am concentrating on setting up boutiques in every major city in South Africa.

SS: What advice would you like to give to young fashion designers and models?

ND: Never underestimate the industry, you need to have proper guidance and council from established designers, to get a good over view of the industry before you can commit to it. As a designer you cannot learn everything from a text book. Fashion takes many years and many hours of work and you must, as a designer, get past the ten year mark, in order for your brand to be sustainable.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On the Couch with Elvis Govender

On The Couch with Damon Beard