Jay Sean on the couch

The suave British singer-songwriter, Jay Sean (born Kamaljit Singh Jhooti) wowed audiences at sold-out concerts over the weekend. Born to Punjabi parents, this platinum selling artist melted the hearts of thousands of fans (mainly Indian) who were smitten by his silky voice and spectacular dance moves. Tabloid Media's, Yashika Ramautar caught up with the dashing singer hours before his Wave House, Gateway performance last Friday, and this is what he had to say.....

Yashika: You arrived yesterday on our shores, what do you think of Durban and it's people?
Jay: I've been overwhelmed, actually. South Africa is one of the few countries, I had not visited, and I'm really impressed. In fact I don't think I've seen so many Indians out of India, I feel like I'm in Mumbai (laughs). Plus the people are really friendly and accommodating, so thats cool...

Yashika: Does your Indian heritage influence your song-writing and music?
Jay: Oh, absolutely. My parents are Punjabi and to us family comes first, so these values definitely filters to my music. 

Yashika: Do you speak your mother tongue, and how well?
Jay: Yeah, I'm Punjabi and can speak it very fluently. I think it's important to learn your mother tongue. 

Yashika: Your songs are very emotional and seems to be personal. Have you written your own songs and are they from your own experiences?
Jay: (smiles) Well..... yes they are. I mean, love and the emotions surrounding it is a universal language. So i guess when I sing about how I feel, people from all over the world can relate. Even your Mayor here (referring to Dep. Mayor Logie Naidoo, sitting next to him) would have at some point in his life, felt the pangs of love, like I did, right? 

Yashika: You are often compared to Craig David. Do you agree with this comparison?
Jay: Well, I'm honoured to be actually, as Craig was the first UK artist to break into the pop RnB genre and attain world success, so I guess he opened the doors for me. Craig is a dear friend of mine from whom i've learnt a great deal from, and still learning from. 

Yashika: Have you heard any local artists or bands as yet, and what is your take on South African music?
Jay: I haven't heard anyone live as yet, but from what I've heard it's awesome. I think the music world has accepted that South Africa definitely has something special to offer.

Yashika: What can your fans expect from your concerts? And will you sing any Bollywood or asian songs?
Jay: They must expect to be blown away! I've actually sampled a few Indian songs for my albums, so yeah, I will surprise them with something. I cant tell you which one exactly, so you will have to wait and see....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender