Tea with Pankaj Udhas

Tea with Pankaj Udhas
By Yashika Ramautar




During his recent tour of South Africa, Tabloid Newspaper's Yashika Ramautar sat down for a cup of tea with the acclaimed Ghazaal singer, Pankaj Udhas for a one-on-one interview. 




YR: You've featured in many films, beginning as early as 1972, which film, to date, are you most proud of contributing to?
PU: At some point I was actually asked by the Indian cinema  film makers to feature in their movies. I guess at that time they wanted to experiment with my  genre of music, which is Ghazals, by way of having me in the films. My very first feature was a very successful one, which is "Chiti Ayi Hai" from Naam, which was filmed and based on me. After that it became a very popular concept which was followed by Sajaan with a song called, "Jiye tho Jiye Kaise" which was also picturised on me. So I guess my appearances in movies helped me and my genre take Ghazals to the next level, because cinema is a very popular medium and no  one can deny that the reach of cinema is far greater than a CD or cassette. So obviously this helped me promote my kind of music across the globe.


YR: If your brother Manhar Udhas had not introduced you to the world  of music, do you think that you would have still pursued a career in music?
PU: I always was very passionate about music, and I still am, so its that passion that has driven me all along. Basically I am never satisfied with myself and I always want to do better, so I think at that particular time my brother was a very big source of support and inspiration. The best example is that I am a science graduate, and was actually aspiring to become a doctor. So obviously music had an edge over what I was doing, and that proves that I had so much passion about music.


YR:You love playing golf. Are you planning on having a go on any of our ranges in here in Durban?
PU: Well unfortunately this trip is rather short, so no. But, I have started a Golf tournament in the USA, to raise funds for children with the genetical disorder called Thalassemia, which has been very successful. So I am considering bringing that tournament her, seeing South Africa has some amazing golf courses. So maybe next year I will try and bring that tournament here.


YR:  You have visited many countries throughout the world. Which city holds the fondest memories for you?
PU: South Africa hold a special place in my heart for the simple reason that this is one place which has given me so much of love and affection. I don't know, but there is some mystery and attraction that keeps bringing me back to SA again and again. I like the whole country, not just one part, but I am especially very fond of Cape Town. I just love that place. I've always said that when I retire I would want to in Cape Town.


YR:  Your talent search programme has become very popular. Do you think enough is being done to nurture young talent?
PU: Not really, I would say that the negative or down side of this is that unfortunately the audio business is not looking out, because of various reasons, namely piracy. So due to piracy, the audio industry has suffered, and due to that, young artists who want to prove their talent and creativity are unable to do so, because of piracy.


Rapid fire:


Tea, coffee or juice....tea, always
Sweetmeat or savouries....I don't have a very sweet tooth, so savouries
Spicy or bland food....I use to love spicy food, but it started interfering with my singing, so bland food now
Dress or Sari....For an Indian lady, sari. For anyone else, a dress
Summer or winter....Because I live in Bombay which is hot, hot, hot, I prefer winter
Shoes or sandals....shoes
Going to a movie or theatre....
Amithabh Bachan or Shah Rukh Khan....Amithabh Bachan
Ashwariya Bachan or Madhuri Dixit.... Madhuri Dixit
Love or career....Difficult one! There is a major inter-connection between the two, as I wouldn't be who I if there was no love.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender