On the couch with Krystle T


At only 23, Durban North's, Krystle Temmerman (aka Krystle T) is a professional songwriter and experienced theatre performer. Krystle, who comes from a large family and who was raised by her grandparents, started performing at a young age with hopes to make herself known in the music industry. With theatre productions like Cinderella, Oliver, Fiddler on the Roof, Guys and Dolls, Unforgettable and The Sound of Music under her belt, she is certainly well on her way. The Durban North News caught up with the talented performer to ask her a few questions about her career.

DNN: When did you first realise you wanted to become a performer?

KT: I was nine when I started performing but I started performing professionally when I was in Oliver in 2004. Unilever Young Performers project at the time was a platform for me to realize my dreams

DNN: What do you love about theatre?

KT: I love the escape, I love the different identities, I love the passion that oozes from professionals, I love the company, I love the experience as a whole. Performing to hundreds and thousands of people, changing someones life for 2 hours to help them escape – is wonderful and an absolute honour.

DNN: When did you have your first theatre experience?

KT: In 2004, in the production Oliver at the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre

DNN: What shows have you recently been involved in?

KT: My most recent one was this festive season`s Cinderella at the Playhouse. I played Grace the awkward stepsister alongside Clare Mortimer and Lisa Bobbert.
Apart from that I performed a year beforehand with theatre as I was busy with my album which I released in August.

DNN: What was your most memorable moment of performing in Cinderella?

KT: Getting on stage every night was most memorable for me. Working with the people I worked with. Having the children come back stage that were ill to meet us or going out in costume afterward hugging children – signing autographs and taking photo`s. There wasn’t  one exact moment – every part of the journey was memorable.

DNN: Which do you love more, singing or acting? Why?

KT: I get asked this a lot. I love both however, I am focusing on my music career this year, if a great role in theatre comes along – I will evaluate it.

DNN: Have you done any work internationally?

KT: I have done international corporates and worked with international artists. If I don’t make it in Idols, then I have a European tour scheduled in July.

DNN: What is your most embarrassing moment on stage?

KT: In Cinderella (laughs). Everyone thought it was part of the act however, in the ballroom scene when I am dancing with the prince and saying my lines I tripped over my dress and fell three times whilst trying to stand up. The audience and cast were laughing so hard. I hurt myself but it was funny. Apart from that, me forgetting my lines in Idols season 5 in the top 35 was also embarrassing.


DNN: Your top 5 do's and don'ts for those that want to take up singing/acting as 
           a career?

KT: Do work hard and persevere whenever it is hard because boy, it is a tough road. Don’t give up easily and don’t take things for granted. Do stay humble and don’t forget the people that helped you when you were `nothing` in the public eye.

DNN: Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

KT: Making music for the masses and touring my butt away 

Just for fun:

DNN: One item in the world you cannot live without?

KT: My Blackberry

DNN:. Favourite thing to do when not at work?

KT: Chill with friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At home with Jailoshini Naidoo

On The Couch with Damon Beard

On the Couch with Elvis Govender